We’ll help you keep your smile healthy
Wisdom Tooth Extractions?
Routine dental check-ups and general dentistry treatments are necessary to maintain good dental health. These treatments are carried out by the dentist in straightforward procedures that are done in the dental clinic, preventing dental problems or stopping them from progressing into something that will be more difficult to manage. However, more serious problems need equally complex treatments, some of which may require a visit to the hospital.
Complex Wisdom Tooth Extractions Undertaken at Kensington Dental Practice in London?
Wisdom tooth extraction can be a simple treatment that’s done in the dental clinic, but it can also be a complicated procedure that may need to be performed in the hospital. At Kensington Dental Practice, we have a highly experienced dentist who can accomplish complex wisdom tooth extractions in the clinic, so you won’t need to go to the hospital to take care of the dental problem.
Call us on: 020 3966 1198BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
What are Wisdom Tooth Extractions?
Wisdom tooth extraction refers to the removal of any of the wisdom teeth, which are also referred toas the third molars. These four permanent teeth are located at the corners of the upper and lower arches. Wisdom teeth may not need to be removed if they don’t cause any problems, for example–if they grow out of the gum line in a normal manner without affecting the neighbouring teeth. However, if they grow sideways or are decayed, they will need to be removed to prevent more serious problem from developing.
What are Simple and Complex Wisdom Tooth Extractions?
Depending on several factors(such as the position of the affected tooth), the removal of wisdom teeth can be classified as either simple or complex. The dentist will do the necessary diagnostic tests–including X-rays or CT scans-to determine what type of extraction is needed to address the wisdom tooth problem.
Simple Wisdom Tooth Extraction–A simple wisdom tooth extraction is performed in thesame way that other teeth are extracted. This procedure is done for wisdom teeth that havecompletely erupted from under the gum line and are exposed just like the surrounding teeth.With this treatment, local anaesthesia is used to numb the area, ensuring that the patientwon’t feel any discomfort whilethetooth is being removed. Simple wisdom tooth extractionscan quickly be completed without theneed for incision and other surgical steps.
There are times when the simple extraction of a wisdom tooth may require surgical procedures, such as when the exposed area of the tooth breaks and the other parts are still under the gum line.
Complex Wisdom Tooth Extraction–The process of extracting the wisdom tooth isconsidered complex surgical intervention is required to successfully get the tooth out.Surgerywill need to be doneif the tooth is impacted or hasn’t grown out normally from under thegumsasnormal teeth do.LocalAnaesthesia will be administered to guarantee pain-free toothextraction
Not all dentists can perform complex wisdom tooth extractions, which is why some cases are referred to hospitals for surgical procedures. At Kensington Dental Practice, our highly experienced dentist can perform complicated tooth extractions in our comfortable clinic in High Street Kensington in the heart of London
What are the Steps of a Complex Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
- The local anaesthesia is administered to protect the patient from feeling any discomfort during the tooth extraction procedure.
- If the wisdom tooth is impacted, the dentist will make a small incision on the gum tissue to gain access to the tooth structure and bone underneath.
- Any bone tissue that’s covering the tooth will need to be removed first to expose the impacted tooth.
- The tooth will be extracted in one piece if possible. If this isn’t possible, the dentist or oral surgeon will cut the tooth into smaller pieces that can more easily be removed from under the gum line.
- After the tooth is removed, the surgical site is cleaned to ensure that there won’t be any tooth and bone tissue left.
- The gums are stitched to promote wound healing, after which a gauze pad may be placed over the extraction site to help control bleeding. This will also help with blood clot formation.
Kensington Dental Practice is a Dental Phobia Certified practice. We’rededicated to helpingnervous patientswho needcomplexdentaltreatments by offeringa range oflocalanaesthesia options–includingIV sedation–to ensure that the entire experience will be completelycomfortable and positive.
Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Prevent damage to neighbouring teeth–an impacted tooth growing sideways can push on neighbouring teeth and cause them to loosen or become prematurely weak. The wisdom tooth will need to be extracted to protect adjacent teeth from unnecessary pressure and the threat of damage.
- Permanent pain relief–an impacted or infected wisdom tooth can bring excruciating pain. Extracting the wisdom tooth will put a stop to the pain caused by tooth decay, dental abscess, or the tooth pushing sideways on adjacent teeth.
- Reduce the risk of dental problems-impacted wisdom teeth that can’t be cleaned thoroughly can become decayed and may even lead to gum problems. Removing the affected tooth will significantly minimise the risk of developing serious dental problems.
- Solve teeth overcrowding–by the time wisdom teeth grow out from the gum line, they may result in the teeth becoming overcrowded. Removing wisdom teeth can solve teeth overcrowding that, if left unaddressed, can cause orthodontic problems and difficulties maintaining good oral health.
- Prevent tumours and cysts from forming on the jawbone–an infected wisdom tooth can be a breeding ground for bacteria that can, in turn, lead to the development of tumours and cysts in the jawbone. Extracting the affected wisdom tooth removes this safety risk and helps ensure the maintenance of healthy teeth, gums, and jaw areas
Call us on: 020 3966 1198
I visited Kensington Dental Practice and i was overwhelmed with the service overall and i will definitely return again and highly recommend for others to visit too.
Great dental practice with very professional dentists.
Excellent patient care. Unique dentistry. Most definitely recommended.